New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

12.24.2007

The Gift of Gifts

O source of all good,
what shall I render to thee for the gift of gifts,

thine own dear Son, begotten, not created,
my redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute,

his self-emptying incomprehensible,

his infinity of love beyond the heart’s grasp.


Herein is wonder of wonders:

he came below to raise me above,

was born like me that I might become like him.


Herein is love;

when I cannot rise to him
he draws near on wings of grace,

to raise me to himself.


Herein is power;

when Deity and humanity were infinitely apart

he united them in indissoluble unity,
the uncreate and the created.


Herein is wisdom;

when I was undone,
with no will to return to him,

and no intellect to devise recovery,

he came, God-incarnate,
to save me to the uttermost,

as man to die my death,

to shed satisfying blood on my behalf,

to work out a perfect righteousness for me.


O God, take me in spirit to the watchful shepherds,

and enlarge my mind;

let me hear good tidings of great joy,

and hearing, believe, rejoice, praise, adore,

my conscience bathed in an ocean of repose,

my eyes uplifted to a reconciled Father;

place me with ox, ass, camel, goat,

to look with them upon my redeemer’s face

and in him account myself delivered from sin;

let me with Simeon clasp the new-born child to my heart,

embrace him with undying faith,

exulting that he is mine and I am his.


In him thou hast given me so much that heaven can give no more.

(The Valley of Vision)

No comments: