New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

3.01.2008

The Only Thing Removed from My Body Was a Mole Deep in My Bellybutton

Happy results from the laparoscopy! My tube did not actually have any blockage due to scar tissue or damage or anything like that. It was obstructed because it had actually gotten tucked around my ovary somehow, so it had a kink in it kind of like if you bend a garden hose. So Dr. Owlish (I think I'm going to go with that; it was one vote behind in the poll, but I didn't get to vote, so my vote tips the scales) simply repositioned the tube to its proper place. He said that my uterus and my tubes all look really good, healthy and clear. He took a couple of tissue samples to send to the lab, but he said nothing seemed concerning. In his report to Aaron (which is where all this information comes from), Dr. Owlish said he felt very optimistic for us and thinks a couple of IUIs should "knock this out." We'll get more information at a post-op appointment in a couple weeks, and then we'll know how soon we can begin treatments.

As happy as the final news is, my experience of the day ran along fairly dismal lines, at least to start. I woke up with the beginnings of a bad headache, and I had no defenses against it - no water or anything allowed. It got pretty raging, to the point where it induced nausea (not pleasant when one doesn't have anything at all in one's stomach). All my attention was focused on my body, with little ability left to concentrate on the truth of God's nearness. Once we made it to the hospital and they hooked me up to an IV with liquids, the nausea subsided but the headache (caused by dehydration, I'm sure) remained. It was a tempting way to begin the day of the laparoscopy!

After all the pre-op preparations, I was wheeled back to the operating room. I remember having all sorts of monitors attached to me, having my arms stretched out to my sides, and then... nothing. The next I knew, I heard someone saying my name and telling me to take deep breaths. I think at that point I was being wheeled to the recovery area. My body was shaking uncontrollably; I wasn't cold, but I couldn't stop shivering. The nurse wrapped me with lots of warm blankets and added extra pain medication to my IV. I dozed off some, and the nurse kept checking on me. I think I spent about 30-45 minutes in anesthesia recovery, and then they brought me to a private recovery room where Aaron could join me. That was when I finally got the report on the laparoscopy findings. I felt pretty alert by then, and I was so grateful to hear happy news! My prayers for obviously good results were answered. We are rejoicing and thanking God.

Recovery is going fine so far. The headache was completely gone when I woke up from the anesthesia, so in many ways I felt better after the surgery than before it! My abdomen is a little achy but not bad when I am reclining (and I've got plenty of strong pain medication to take!). My shoulders feel fairly tight and sore, a result of the gas they filled the abdominal cavity with now rising to escape; heat helps, so Aaron is busy running the heat pack back and forth between me and the microwave. The pain medication makes me drowsy, so I'm getting plenty of rest. Most of all, I'm resting in God's favor and hoping for his future blessings.

12 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

Excellent news on the insides! Hope that headache does not return!

amy said...

Glad to hear it went well and that everything is looking good!

Amy
dancingwithinfertility.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Praise God for a smooth procedure and for happy results! This is certainly a blessing from His hand.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

O am so glad to hear this wonderful report!!! I don't think I have ever heard of someone with a Lap results like that... I think the Lord definitely answered the cries of your heart! Rest up!!!

JJ said...

Sorry about the pesky headache!
SO glad to hear the results are A-OK=)

The Durbin Family said...

Seriously?? That is such good news!! I was going to call you this morning, but didn't want to call too early...thanks for posting the update! I remember getting major shivers after I came out of anethesia--so weird, isn't it? I am so, so thankful to hear this news for you all. Praise God for hearing your heart prayers!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad everything went well! What an answer to prayer! Very glad it was just a "kink."

glenna marshall said...

What wonderful news!!! Praising God for a good report!

Anonymous said...

Praising the Lord for your "kinky" tube. :-)

I'll be praying for nausea to return really soon! :-p

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I was away all weekend and am just now checking your blog. What great news! I'm sorry your "before" time was so lousy but I'm thrilled to see how all of your prayers were answered.

Now you just rest and enjoy the good drugs and make your own garden picture equivalent. Yay!!

xo
Flicka

GLouise said...

Praising God for good surgery and report. Hoping it will just take the IUIs. How wonderful to hear that!!

Elaine said...

Yay! I'm so happy you got some much needed positive news from your laparoscopy. I hope you are taking in all this relaxing, cuz when your a mom--and you will be a mom--you will find moments like these few and far between!