New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

3.13.2008

Mix & Match Quiche

This simple quiche recipe allows me to make a quick dinner with whatever ingredients I have on hand. I usually pair it with a simple salad, or fruit, or cooked broccoli or carrots.

Basic Ingredients
3 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream*
1 prepared pie crust
approx. 1/2 cup cheese, crumbled or grated
1/4 cup diced onion (white, red, or green)
1/4-1/2 cup meat, cooked & cut into small pieces
salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste

Preheat oven to 375F. Place pie crust in a 9" pie pan. Whisk eggs with cream; season to taste. Place cheese, onions, and meat in pie shell. Pour egg mixture over top. Fold and pinch edges of pie crust. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until quiche is firm and golden and crust is lightly browned. Slice and serve.

I pretty much always cook and crumble bacon for the meat, but diced ham or sausage or even torn deli meats would work well. You could also add veggies like diced bell pepper, broccoli, or spinach. Two of my favorite combinations are (1) blue cheese, bacon, and green onion; and (2) fresh grated cheddar (the sharper the better!), bacon, white onion, a sprinkling of tarragon, and a dash of nutmeg. (If I use a pungent cheese like blue cheese, I only use about 1/4 cup and I don't add any extra seasoning - not even salt or pepper.) Experiment and enjoy!

*Half & half works fine, too. If you want to use regular milk, I would use an extra egg so that the consistency of the egg mixture is thick enough.

No comments: