New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

10.15.2006

And Now, for Something Completely Different (in Honour* of Snow)

A couple days after coming home from my visit to Texas, we had our first snowfall of the season! I heard on the news that it was the fifth earliest snowfall in the Chicago area in the past 125 years. The flurries of white flakes were lovely, but of course didn’t last. However, all this cold weather (plus a conversation with my friend Amanda in Waco) got me thinking about my favorite cozy crock-pot meals. I thought I’d do something completely new on my blog and post a couple tasty recipes.

Parmesan Chicken Chowder (from Jen Flock)

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3-4 baking potatoes, cleaned & diced
4 carrots, peeled & sliced ¼” thick
2 ribs celery, sliced ¼” thick
1 onion, diced
3 cups water
Salt & pepper
4 tbsp butter
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup peas (thawed if frozen)
1 cup corn (thawed if frozen)
1/3 cup Parmesan, shredded or grated

Put chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion & water in crockpot. Season with salt & pepper. Cook all day. Chicken should shred easily when done. 15 minutes before serving, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, whisking for 2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Stir milk mixture into chicken mixture. Add peas, corn, and Parmesan to the chowder and stir to combine. Serve with crusty bread.

Boeuf Bourguignon (modified from a recipe in Everyday Food magazine)

2-3 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
¼ cup flour
6 medium carrots, peeled & sliced ½” thick
1 onion, diced
4 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb cremini or button mushrooms, halved if large & stems trimmed
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp dried thyme
Salt & pepper
1 bottle dry red wine

Place chuck roast in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle with flour; season with salt & pepper. Add carrots, onion, bacon, garlic, mushrooms & tomato paste. Season with thyme, salt & pepper. Pour wine over all. Cook on high all day (8+ hours). Meat should fall apart when stirred. (This recipe is even better reheated as leftovers, so you can also cook it overnight, refrigerate it during the day, and warm it up for dinner.)


*I’ve always thought the British spelling of words that Americans end in “or” was much more sophisticated. This seemed like a good time to use the British way.

6 comments:

hoesayfina said...

Andrea,
Thanks for the recipe. We enjoyed the Parmesan Chicken Chowder last week. It was wonderful. -maria

Amanda said...

Andrea,

We also enjoyed the Parmesan Chicken Chowder -- I made it for Mom's visit this past weekend, & we had the leftovers today for lunch. Thanks for the recipe!

Julie said...

This sounds delicious. Can you tell me how many servings it makes? What size crock pot do you use?

Thanks,
Julie

andrea_jennine said...

Julie, I'd say each recipe serves 6-8, depending on how big you scoop the portions! My crockpot is pretty large, probably 6+ quarts.

Julie said...

So on the Parmesan Chicken Chowder, do you just do one recipe for your 6 qt. crock pot? I have a large family so I just was curious as to how many it would feed. I am guessing you are saying 6-8 regular sized bowls.

Thanks for the info. This sounds yummy!

I am going grocery shopping tomorrow so I can get the ingredients!

Blessings,
Julie

andrea_jennine said...

I do make just one recipe in my crockpot, but it only fills half the pot; it could easily be doubled. I hope your family enjoys it!