New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

8.21.2008

He Knows. He's Good.

"...then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials..." (2 Peter 2:9)

I read that verse on Monday morning, before going in for my beta but knowing the results would likely be negative. That phrase, "then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials," is one full of implicit questions and answers about suffering.

When faced with affliction, most of us wrestle with challenging questions. Why has God let this happen? Why won't God stop this, take this pain away? Can God control the sorrow that batters me? If he can but doesn't, can I trust him?

We need, I need, to hold tightly to two handles. The first handle is God's sovereignty, his powerful ability to control all things in heaven and on earth. Nothing happens apart from his decision. The second handle is God's goodness. Many of us only have a grip on that second handle. I think that, within contemporary Christianity at least, the most common answer to questions about suffering is that God is good and loving and would put an end to all our problems if he could, but, well, he's just not strong enough to do that. I understand how alluring that seeming solution is, but that? Isn't God. And it's ultimately a sloppy sop of comfort. If God is powerful but not good, we're all in trouble. If God is kindly but impotent, our trials are hopeless. But, praise him, he is both! He is King, and he is Love. When I suffer, I have to hang on to both handles of God's sovereignty and goodness, dangling in the paradox of the space between them, mid-air in affliction but sure of the One to whom my soul clings.

The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials. I am not stuck in the maze of infertility, following a God who doesn't know the way, can't see around the walls, and keeps running into dead ends. He knows how to get me out. He hasn't yet, but that's not because he takes sadistic pleasure in watching me scurry from bend to bend, corner to corner. It's because he knows the best way to rescue me. That way may be longer and have more twists than I would like, but the path that looks quickest and easiest to me would get me lost. He made the maze, and he'll lead me through it and out of it. He knows how to rescue me, and at just the right time, he will. He is a proven, wise, compassionate rescuer.

The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials. He knows, and he's putting that knowledge to good use.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...


Dear Andrea,
I've been reading ur blog for some time . You are such an inspiration. I am truly amazed at your faith. Todays reading was for me too.I am going thro' something similar in my life. In a way I can say God spoke to me thro' you. God is using you mightily.May God Bless you and your husband abundantly. That is my prayer for you.God will surely , in due time do great miracles.

Love,
D

Amy said...

Wow, Andrea. What a profound profession from one who knows intimately about suffering. Your words are beautiful and strong and true.

Annika said...

Amen to this. Absolutely true, a good reminder for us all, but even more shining coming from you. God shines forth so clearly from you, Andrea!

On a lighter note, I'm so sorry about your car! :( Ours is broken down right now, too, and I sure hope it's not on the verge of explosion! So much for debt-free, huh? What a pain. We hope to get together with you all soon!

Stacey said...

Thank you, thank you for this post! It was so beautifully written and spoke right to my heart.
That verse is going up where I can see it OFTEN.

Jill said...

I love it when you get to writing...just makes me want to say AMEN!!!

He always speaks peace to me through your words.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Faith said...

What beautiful words from the heart -- thank you. I needed that this morning. Too often I cling to that second bit, you know?!

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing this Andrea. These are such powerful and comforting truths, and it was very helpful for me to read this before tomorrow.

Brenna Mertens said...

Andrea, I am so encouraged by this post. THANK you for writing it. it really hit home for me!
Thank you again for praying with me over the phone last night - I am so thankful to God that I know you!
Still praying for you in this trial - God is still good dear friend!

Unknown said...

Amen!