New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

8.22.2007

Hymns for Hard Times: The Solid Rock

(Here is the first post in this series.)

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' Name.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the 'whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.


How often I need the reminders - like this song - that I should not lean on anything else but my Savior! When my hope for children gives way, I need to stand on the Rock of Christ. Even the blessings currently in my life, like my husband, should not be the repository of my trust and happiness. Only Jesus can support the full weight of all my hopes and sorrows and joys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sang this to my grandmother as she lay dying in the hospital. Its such a special hymn to me.

I'm so glad you've been doing this series...so often we younger folk forget about the great old hymns of older generations. I was raised on some of these and they still give me comfort in hard times. So much good theology and doctrine! maybe you could do a series on hymn writers and their life stories. That is a fascinating topic!

glenna marshall said...

Andrea, thank you so much for your encouraging comments and for praying for us. God is good and faithful, and He is teaching me that (yet again!) through infertility.
I have loved the hymns you've been posting, and I think I will read "How Long, O Lord." I believe my husband has read this book and his it on a shelf in his office somewhere (he's a big Carson fan!).
Thanks for the recommendations!
Blessings!
-glenna-