New Home

I'm glad you found my blog! Please visit my current blog at http://entrusted.wordpress.com.

5.22.2007

Trial by Prayer (2)

Many of the thoughts on prayer that I shared in my last post took shape in my mind as I read the chapter on prayer in Wayne Grudem's Bible Doctrine. Here are some notes that I took from the section about unanswered prayers:

- God keeps his wise plans hidden until the time he has decreed. When faced with unanswered prayer, I need to humbly admit that God need not let me know what he is doing.

- Sometimes we do not pray as we ought, because we think one plan is best when God has a better solution.

- When our prayers are unanswered, we join the company of Paul - who prayed for his thorn to be removed from him and it was not - and Jesus - who prayed for the cup of God's wrath to be removed from him and it was not.

- When our prayers go unanswered, we must continue to trust God, casting our cares on him and remembering that his strength is sufficient.

- We must continue to pray. Sometimes a long-awaited answer will suddenly be given, as was the case with Hannah when she at last conceived Samuel.

- Sometimes prayer will remain unanswered in this life or for eternity, but the faith of prayer still brings glory to God.

Words are insufficient to express how grateful I am - we are - to all of you who have earnestly prayed along with us during this season of affliction and waiting. We have especially felt the effect of your prayers in the past week; the encouragement has been tangible. Whatever the answer to our prayers, whatever the outcome of this IVF in particular and of this fight against infertility in general, I take great delight in knowing that all these prayers of faith offered up on our behalf are bringing significant glory to the One who saves.

4 comments:

Michele said...

I used to meditate on Scripture every night when I went to the gym. I have this verse posted on my mirror, which was one of the last that I was able to study in that way. I thought of you as I read it tonight.

"And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths than they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are things I do, and I do not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

May you be comforted and strengthened by his promise to "do" for you.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

Thank you for commenting on my page. I am so glad to have stumbled onto your site, as I love Dr. Grudem's teachings and you look like a serious Christian walking through what I am - it's nice to have a "sister" out there connected in more ways than one. I haven't gotten a chance to read your background yet, but I hope you don't mind my stopping by and adding you to my blogroll.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

Ok wait, I just noticed you link to the Sovereign Grace websites & youre from Naperville (I used to live in Yorkville). So you go to the SG church in Naperville? Tab & Sung Traynor? I visited there for a while and have friends still there (the Kee Family?).?

andrea_jennine said...

ISoMS - Wow! Yes, I actually work for the church, as administrative assistant to Tab and another pastor! I know the Kees very well; their oldest son is in the small group that my husband leads.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat more - andrea_jennine AT yahoo.com.